"Phew!! I'm relieved you're still having it. When I thought about cooking this year, I was filled with dread. I don't have to bring anything, do I? If I do, I hope it's something easy".
I understand her sentiments. And for the only day out of the year that I cook, I'm happy to give others a day off. At the end of a two day stretch of cooking, I have had my fill, and am happy to hand the reins back over to Adam (and the occasional take-out place!).
This year, I tried an idea I saw in a magazine- to have everyone write what they are thankful for on a white drop cloth with permanent marker, and use it each year as our tablecloth. (this idea backfired on me, and one spin in the wash blurred out all of the comments.... any idea what I did wrong?)
Anyways, I spent a lot of time reading those comments, and all that we have to be thankful for:
- meaningful work
- healthy/funny/lovable babies
- recovery from illness
- second chances
- close-knit family
- safety and security
- great neighbors
- wonderful friends
- a really FUN life
- motorcycles (this is where the list is quite obviously NOT anonymous)
On a bad day, I can become easily consumed with unimportant frustration. Like my full head of gray hair, or my acne (COME ON! I have had acne for 20 years, universe! I have paid my dues!!), or our laundry piled to the ceiling. My very stressful job. Or our lack of cabinet space. Silly stuff, but you know what I'm saying.
But Thanksgiving is such a good reminder of the amazing and abundant blessings we have. And such an awesome time to celebrate our cherished loved ones and relationships. And as an ardent tradition enthusiast, I love that the holiday is steeped in Traditions.... cooking day Wednesday, drumstick dash in the morning, Thanksgiving feast, neighborhood stroll in the dark, day after breakfast at Patachou, the Christmas tree farm.
My mom made a Thanksgiving rich with memories for me as a kid, and I try to carry them out for my own babies. I hope they take a few of these things when they have their babies. And they better invite us over to eat. My guess is that Adam will be feeling like my grandma by then.


















No comments:
Post a Comment