Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Rocket them up to Heaven, already!

As a kid, I LOVED animals.  Loved wild animals, domesticated animals, stray animals, and rodents.  Dreamed of horses and becoming a vet someday.  Adam was a kid who was wild about dogs, despite his parents hard stance against them.  Comiskey was (and is) the dog Adam always wanted.  As a baby, Wylie was crazy about Walter, our cat.  But he seems not-so-interested in the dogs or other animals.  Here is the perfect snapshot of his feelings on pets as we drove past Petsmart:

Wylie:  Hey Mommy, you know how some people really like pets?

Me:      Yeah,  I do.  Do you?

Wylie:  I don't.  I don't like zoo animals, pet store animals, or other people's dogs.  I didn't really like Walter that much, either.  And, I sort of wish we could just get rid of our dogs, don't you?

Me:   Sometimes I do.  But, we brought these dogs home and committed to taking care of them for the rest of their lives.  Once they die, we can make a better decision to avoid getting another dog, if that's what we want.

Wylie:  Then that's what I want.  Once the dogs die, I think we should put a jet pack on their backs and rocket them up to heaven to dance with Daddy's grandma.  Don't you think that's a great idea?  Are you so impressed I thought of that?

I love these little discussions, and I AM so impressed with his ideas.

And, I must admit, when Grendel's barking wakes up Yo, or I find another chewed up lego, I am fantasizing about strapping the dogs with jet packs and rocketing them up to heaven.


No comments: