Adam was out of town for a 9 day stretch. In the last eight weekends, he's been gone five. This is pretty unusual circumstances for our family of four. If you know Adam, he puts the "co" in "co-parenting". He is the glue that holds us all together.
I'm all about frozen peas in bed, and using oil paint to finger paint because we ran out of finger paint. I'm focused on brain development, and reading, and teaching our kids camp songs. I let Wylie jump from furniture piece to furniture piece pretending that he is in the jungle. I could sit on the floor and read the kids books for hours. I make up races and contests, and don't worry that pumpkin guts landed on our white carpet. I taught Wylie how to wipe his nose on a not-so-noticeable part of his sleeve and avoid kleenex. I don't match socks because, well, what's the point?
But Adam, he holds us together. Adam fixes EVERYTHING, and manages all of our day-to-day functions. Like meals. And grocery shopping. And putting gas in the cars. He keeps track of our dollars, and reels me back in. He's trying to teach Wylie to use a kleenex. He also handles everything gross. Dogs barfed- Adam to the rescue. Kids are barfing- Adam will calm them, extradite the puke, and teach them how to hustle to the toilet. Dog poop, garbage cans, recycling, compost, bleeding appendages, and dead birds mangled by Grendel in the backyard. All Adam's domain. He remembers to feed the fish, walk the dogs, and fixes the garbage disposal at least once a week.
Once, Adam and I were talking about household duties. I rattled off a very long list of all of the things Adam is good at. It's long, and you would be bored once you got to the bottom.
I tried to create my list.
- I read fast
- I am pretty good at laundry
- I am awesome at entertaining kids
- I feel very confident that I'm good at my job
- I'm a really good friend and party host
- I make a great Thanksgiving meal
- I'm good at naming animals and people and paint colors for our house
I started to feel a little down in the dumps about the usefulness of my list compared to Adam's, and said, "I don't bring a lot to the table."
Adam said, "maybe not, but you are REALLY entertaining".
So, this week has been an even greater reminder that he is the yin to my yang, and the TWO of us make a great team. Alone, I'm sort of like a child raising circus.
No comments:
Post a Comment