Some of you probably know this, but my brother and I were what I like to affectionately call, "Y Rats" as kids. We lived at the Y. We were on every season of swim team, and spent every day after school soaking in the chlorine and playing with our friends. My mom took us there when we were little for every array of classes. We spent every summer at Y Day Camp and away at Y summer camps, and I was a Camp Counselor for six years at a YMCA Camp Pinewood (where my mom was a counselor in the 60's!). I have a big heart for the Y.
And so we support the Y. Mark my words that we will never join a different gym, and in fact, when months roll by and we have not been there- I will not consider cutting the expense from our budget. After all, some other little Y rat is supported by our monthly fee.
There are these old Y commercials about MLK, and they say something like- "before he gave the I have a dream speech, he was just another kid at the Y", and they show him splashing at the pool with his pals. I buy it.... and even when I'm not pregnant, it could make me cry.
So you can imagine my joy that Wylie LOVES the Y. Loves swimming lessons, loves the pool, loves playing basketball and racquetball, and loves the people. He even loves the dingy locker rooms and taking showers with no water pressure or heat. That's my kid! Picture a tear welling up in my eye as I type!
And here he is, practicing break dancing in the gym while a random guy is getting his groove on. This would NOT happen at LA Fitness, my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment