I guess if I had never adopted, I would still think that nature vs. nurture is a pretty amazing debate. As a social worker, I am often confronted with the sad realities of environment on young children- and see a bleak side of the power of a negative environment. I also get the opportunity to see the power of intervention, and of positive people. But overall, let's be honest and say that it can be a little gloomy.
But with Wylie, it's been a welcome and fun pilot to observe. We often watch him do or say things, and wonder about whether those things are the things that have come with him from two great sets of genes, of things that he is soaking up along the way. We may never know. But what I do know is that while we sing and have on music all the time in our house, the quality of our singing or musical ability is... not so hot. But Wylie has a love for singing and music AND a knack for it. I'll give us a little credit for his enthusiasm for bursting out into song, but I lay the rest of the credit with Becca and Garrett for his musical ear, his knack for singing in tune, and remembering lyrics. He is drawn to guitars and pianos, and loves to dance to the beat. A few things that he certainly did NOT get from us!!
Lately, he has even been making up his own songs, and performing them. He's picked up on how to bow after a performance, and often says, "that was a good song, wasn't it guys?". No lack of confidence here!
No comments:
Post a Comment