Thursday, October 27, 2011

The best block ever!





Last Christmas, Adam and I hosted our block's Christmas party. We had about 50 people in our house, and if you've been here, it's not a house one would think of for hosting 50 people. It was crazy, and busy, and so loud... and a great time. And as our wonderful neighbors were walking out the door, I did what only crazy, over-committing types do, and I offered to host the block party in the summer.

I closed the door, collapsed on the couch, and thought... "what is wrong with me?". Hosting another shindig?

Fast forward to September, when a neighbor says, "who was in charge of the summer block party?" and that snowy day in December comes back into my mind. OH NO- it was ME who offered to host the party, and somewhere in the midst of our busy life... I forgot!

Not wanting to let my neighbors down, I scrambled to throw our block party together, and forgot to block off the street. Are you starting to see why I am not the right person to host the summer block party? Sheesh!

So, we hosted the entire block in our front yard, since we couldn't block off the street. We bought tons of hot dogs, pulled the grill out front, set up a table with paints and glitter to decorate pumpkins, and had the fire pit going for s'mores on the driveway. We had sidewalk chalk EVERYWHERE.

And we had an amazing time. We are so, so, so grateful to live near people we adore. Our adult neighbors let the kids paint their faces, everyone ate s'mores until their bellies ached, and the kids squealed and played long into the night.

And... it only took us about 3 hours to clean up the disaster. I recognize that this is one of my worst qualities, my tendency to say "yes", even when a reasonable person would say,"No, we are WAY too busy!".

On the other hand, if I hadn't said yes, we wouldn't have this night. Not a night of giggling amongst the girls painting faces, not a night of sticky s'mores, or glittery pumpkin guts all over our front yard.

Totally worth it.

No comments: