


On Wednesday morning, I decided to drive to Knoxville to get a jump start on my few days off between jobs and have a little extra time with my mom and Bob. About 90 miles from Knoxville, I was chatting away on my cell phone with my friend Elizabeth, when she says, "Hey- where are you?", and I told her that I was en-route to Knoxville. She said, "what?!, I'm 98 miles from Knoxville, coming back from the Inauguration!". It was one of those little, meant-to-be moments. We met in Knoxville at one of our favorite college restaurants, the sunspot, and had our favorite lunch- the firebird sandwich. Elizabeth's friendship is like an old, soft sweater. No matter how long it's been, or what the weather, or whatever is "in", it always fits- it's always the same. We talked about our adoption, the new president, old friends, and laughed. And laughed.
Funny to think that if we never stopped to ask each other where we were headed, we would have missed that lunch!
The other two pictures are from this evenings adventure with Mable. Mable is the adorable daughter of my mom's friend, Amy- and we had the pleasure of having her spend the night while her mom was in a late class. Mable calls my mom, "Barbie", and fittingly enough, we played Barbies for much of the evening. I had trouble remembering how TO PLAY! What imagination she had! When we asked her how old she would be at her next birthday, she said, "31", rather matter-of-factly. It would be neat if it worked that way, wouldn't it?
6 comments:
You really did get the best picture of us together. I looked like Sasquatch in the rest. ha! :) You wouldn't happen to be driving through Orlando on Sunday would you? We could meet for lunch again! I love you so much, lady. And my abdomen really needed that good laughing workout...que suerte!
Can't wait to be "Aunt E" again...for my newest nephew Wylie!!
I am not good at playing anymore. My kids tell me I never do it right. It's sad how we lose the ability to imagine like children. I wish there was a way to keep my kids imaginations sparkle as they do right now. It's wonderful to watch, but trust me, I rarely take part. I just can't keep up with them!
It is true! It is so hard to be so imaginative! Our neighbor kids had an elaborate all day trial one day this winter playing outside with all of their stuffed animals as the jury, and this very complicated case of neighborhood crime with plaintiffs and defendants, attorneys and judges- some real, some pretend... I was just amazed at how long it went on! I wish I had that part of my brain back again!
“Unless your heart, your soul, and your whole being are behind every decision you make, the words from your mouth will be empty, and each action will be meaningless. Truth and confidence are the roots of happiness.” A great quote - I put more faith in the former. Social work is a tremendous sacrifice which will pay dividends, although you may not always see them directly. A touched soul is like a lingering fingerprint, not always visible to the naked eye, but there if you know how to see it. (that's my quote by the way!) I think your work will indeed prove worthwhile in the future - you should be very proud. Seeing how the human spirit perseveres, despite all odds, is encouraging. Maybe God really does give us only what we can handle. May God Bless you both! Narnia
How wonderful to see you and Elizabeth glowing as you are. Friends are precious gifts and never take them for granted. Friendship just like marriages have to be worked at to keep them forever. Trust me it's not hard work. I once was told, a true friend is one you can pick right back up with after not talking or seeing for no matter how long! How true it is. As I get older I have gone back to my "OLD" friends and I cherish them even more now than when I was young. I know you will have that with your friends forever because you know how to BE a friend! I sometimes forget you are my daughter and I think of you as my friend! But then I thougth of my mom as my friend also, so I think that is a good thing!
I hope when Wylie joins the family I will again be able to see Elizabeth as I'm sure you won't be able to keep her away!
Love to you
Pattio
No kidding! E cannot WAIT to be an "Aunt E" and teach him everything she knows about rebel yells, horses, and the love of Nashville:)
Post a Comment