Today was such a big day for us... we had the wonderful opportunity to meet B and G at St. Elizabeth's. We knew this day was coming, so I took the day off work so that I would be mentally ready. Adam and I changed clothes LITERALLY one dozen times, and laughed about whether or not they would care if we had jeans or dress pants, or if Adam shaved his beard or stayed bearded. Talk about a nervous wreck. (In case you're wondering, we settled on jeans and a sweater for Adam, jeans and a black dress shirt for me!).
We briefly met with our adoption worker, Renee, before meeting B and G, and she thankfully told us that EVERYONE is nervous on days like these. I looked at Adam's pale and somber face and wondered if he wasn't feeling well or if he was still hungry- turns out, that's what Adam looks like nervous! I have never seen him that way! She asked if we had questions for B and G, and I thought, "what question could I possibly have for a woman who has made such an amazing choice??", I simply felt blessed that she wanted to meet us! Without knowing her yet, we knew she was brave, selfless, and so mature. We felt sure that we would like them, no matter what. We were prepared for 1000 questions or so, and ready to pour our hearts out to her- knowing that she was entrusting her child to us- but we couldn't imagine having anything to ask of her.
We met in a room that was about 300 degrees (just so you can picture us all sweating in there!), with B, G, B's parents, and the two St. E's social workers. I instantly felt as though B and G couldn't be more perfect. B is lovely, bright, bubbly, and personable- reminds me so much of my cousin Jessica. She loves animals and wants to be a vet tech- we both talked about our pets and how love of animals is certainly a commonality. G was open and friendly and reminded me of so many friends we have... almost like we had known them in some other life.
B talked about how hard this decision had been for her, and how working with St. E's had been amazing. She mentioned how much she liked her birthmother counselor, Sheryl, and how choosing us made her decision easier. Tears were welling up in my eyes the entire time she talked. I could not imagine being as mature as she is at her age... she is wise beyond her years. Needless to say, we thought they were terrific. They have dated for a year or so, and seemed to be so happy in their relationship. B's parents seem like wonderful people, and her dad is much like Bob, which was comforting too.
As time went on, we felt more and more at ease, and less nervous. Adam said he felt like we were just warming up when it was over, and that the time flew by. It did. As Renee walked us out, she mentioned that we may see them again before the baby is born. That seemed too far away- it was hard to believe that people we had begun to know would remain a mystery for awhile, this has been such an incredible experience for us... it was hard to believe that we might not see them again until April! We certainly hope they felt as good about our meeting as we did about them... we spent the entire time in the car on the way home talking about how much we liked them, and how "meant to be" our experience has been.
B is due on April 22nd, and she should know if the baby is a boy or a girl on December 4th- my birthday!! Could you imagine a better birthday gift?!
We are reeling- excited, humbled by B and her wisdom, nervous that she and G liked us, and so hopeful for the journey ahead.
B mentioned she has been feeling really nauseous and the pregnancy has been difficult, so say a prayer that she is feeling better as time goes on.
A funny note- G mentioned that his parents were Harley riders, like Adam:) SO meant to be:)
4 comments:
So excited and happy for you guys. Really hope it all works out. I will get praying for everyone.
I am so happy that your meeting went well! I thought of you all numerous times throughout the day and sent up prayers for strength and guidance for all. In just a few months your healthy baby will be born! I can't think of better or more deserving people to be blessed with a baby!
Thank you, thank you for all the prayers and comments. I could not have guessed how much we would enjoy having this blog and sharing our story. I'm not too computer savvy, but I'm learning as I go!
My goodness, you had me crying as well. I can't imagine how nervous all you must have been. Thanks for sharing. I can hardly wait for your birthday!
Aunt Pam
Post a Comment